- The necessity of reduction of the standby power consumption
- Electronic appliances and office equipment including Computer use a lot of power usage in standby
time, it called ‘Standby power’. There is a lot of standby power usage, in case of copier or video’s
power usage is estimated up to 80% during the standby
- A lot of energy we have imported from overseas can be wasted by standby power of appliances. For
example, many office appliances keep turning on during the working hours in spite of the short time in
actual use. When you turn off a television, it continuously wastes electric power if the plug is
connected to the electric source. The energy cost wasted in standby time like this accounted for more
than 10% of the total energy consumption in households and businesses.
- In fact, the best way to reduce the standby power is to plug out. If it's not easy, you need to use the
energy-saving products. In other words, the easiest way to reduce the standby power consumption
and participate in the global environment conservation movement is to buy high efficiency products.
- The e-standby products(bearing energy saving mark) shall automatically enter a low power mode
after a period of inactivity and return to its previous mode for energy saving when it reactivates.
- Standby power saving products are confirmed through the energy saving label or the energy saving
product list on the internet homepage of Korea Energy Management Corporation.
- Target Products
- The items included to e-Standby Program consist of 22 items such as computers, monitors, printers,
fax machines, copiers, scanners, multi-function devices, energy saving & controlling devices, digital
converter, video cassette recorders, home audio products, DVD players, radios, microwave ovens,
set-top boxes, door phones, cord/cordless phones, electronic toilet seats, modems and home
gateways, hand dryers, severs.
- * External power adaptors, mobile phone battery chargers applied to MEPS, so it’s removed from
e-standby program since 2009.1.1
- * Televisions applied to MEPS, so it's removed from e-standby program since 2012.7.30
- To reduce standby power, KEMCO induces the manufacturers to minimize standby power and select sleep mode during the standby. It’s the Voluntary Agreement.
- The purpose of the program is to save beginning stage’s energy by encouraging the manufacturers to produce and spread the energy-saving products that meet the energy- saving standards suggested by Ministry of Know
ledge Economy (MKE) and Korea Energy Management Corporation (KEMCO).
- The manufacturers and importers guarantee the standby power saving ability under the mutual confidence between KEMCO and the manufacturers. The products that meet the energy saving standard notified by the
government are entitled to bear the Energy Saving Label (“Energy Boy” Label).
- Standby Warning Label Policy
- MKE and KEMCO established ‘Standby Korea 2010’ which is a roadmap to limit standby power below 1W by 2010. According to Standby Korea 2010, The Rational Energy Utilization Act was amended on Dec. 27th 2007 to make the e-Standby Program mandatory. And some products have been applied.
- -Mandatory reporting on standby power : In case of violation, a fine up to US$ 5 thousand will be charged per model
-Mandatory indication of warning label on products not to meet standby standards : In case of violation, a fine up to US$ 5 thousand will be charged per model
Overview of implementation
|Date of enforcement
||Target products of Warning Label
||TVs (1 product)
||computers, monitors, printers, multi-function devices, set-top boxes, microwave ovens (6 products)
|Since '10. 7. 1
||VCRs, audios, DVD players, radios, door phones, cord/cordless phones, Electronic toilet seats, fax machines, copiers, scanners, modems, home gate ways (12 products)
- Korea is the first country to introduce mandatory Standby Power Warning Label in the world. This is the innovative and critical policy change to enhance energy conservation effect, and will be important milestone in Korea's Energy Standards & Labeling. Ministry of Knowledge Economy and Korea Energy Management Corporation will increase Warning Label target products gradually considering the current state of the market and technical
development of each target product for the purpose of minimizing companies' expense and burden.
- Based on the article 18, 19, 20, 21 of the “Rational Energy Utilization Act”
- Regulation on Standby Power Reduction Program(Ministry of Knowledge Economy Notification No. 2011-23, 2011. 2.16)