The status of Energy Efficiency Management Programs
Korea's Energy Standards & Labeling
- Energy Efficiency Standards & Labeling Program
- Under the Energy Efficiency Standards & Labeling Program, high energy consuming products are rated from 5 to 1 grade. The Energy Efficiency Label (from 5 to 1 grade) should be attached to products. Production and sales of products that fall below the MEPS are prohibited. All domestic manufacturers and the importers must keep this program. This program is Korea’s core energy efficiency management scheme.
- e-Standby Program
- E-Standby Program is to promote the widespread use of energy saving products that decrease standby power. The products, meet the energy saving standard which is suggested by the government, are entitled to bear the
Energy Saving Label. There are 20 target products in home electronics and office equipment, etc.
- MKE and KEMCO introduced mandatory Standby Power Warning Label program as the first country in the world by amending ‘The Rational Energy Utilization Act’, according to ‘Standby Korea 2010’ which is a roadmap to limit standby power below 1W.
- Mandatory reporting standby power of target products for Standby Power Warning Label (In case of violation, a fine up to 5 thousand dollars will be charged.)
- Mandatory labeling Products for failing standby standard (In case of violation, a fine up to 5 thousand dollars will be charged.)
- High-efficiency Appliances Certification Program
- The High-efficiency Appliances Certification Program is to single out those products, perform above the certain standards, for promoting High-efficiency Appliance and initiative market. Certified products are entitled to bear the High-efficiency Appliance Label and certificates are also issued. There are 44 target products including pumps, boilers, and lighting appliances.